1. What kind of cases does Seminole County Legal Aid handle?
Legal Aid provides civil legal services to financially eligible clients in the following areas:

  • Family Law:
    • Dissolution of Marriage
    • Modification of Child Support
    • Temporary Custody by Extended Family
    • Domestic Violence Injunction
    • Paternity
  • Guardianship advocacy for disabled adults and children
  • Housing Law:
    • Eviction and Unlawful Detainer Defense
    • Maintenance Issues
    • Unlawful Detainer
    • Ejectment
  • Agency for Persons with Disabilities Benefits applications

We do not handle any criminal cases (including traffic cases). We also do not handle any personal injury, malpractice or workers’ compensation cases, bankruptcy or civil rights claims.

2. What is the difference between civil and criminal legal services?

Civil legal service organizations, like Seminole County Legal Aid, represent people in cases related to private rights and civil disputes, such as housing, family, On the other hand, criminal legal service organizations (public defenders) represent people in cases that relate to crimes, such as theft.

What is civil legal aid ?

3. How does Legal Aid determine if I am eligible for services?

Although there is no fee for any of Legal Aid’s services, you must qualify financially for many programs. Financial eligibility is based upon the income and assets of individuals in your household. In many cases, the income of your household cannot exceed 125% of the federal poverty level, although we make allowances for certain expenses, such as childcare. In reviewing your assets, we do not generally count your home or automobile. Legal aid intake workers will assist you in completing an application and determine your eligibility for services. Eligibility for services is based upon other criteria, including whether you are a Seminole County resident and if your legal problem falls within our priority areas.

4. Is there a fee for obtaining legal services from Legal Aid?

There is no charge for the legal services rendered at Seminole County Legal Aid, however you must meet certain qualifications for our services, financially or otherwise. You may also be required to pay certain fees assessed by the Clerk/Court.

5. Do you handle child support enforcement cases?

Generally, we do not handle child support enforcement cases. Please contact the Department of Revenue Child Support Office for assistance.

6. What documents should I provide to Legal Aid?

Please call or review the below information

Driver’s license, proof of income, Opposing party address, birth certificates (if applicable), any related court documents

7. How do I apply for Services?

Dial our office number: (407) 834-1660https://scbalas.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/intakeprocess1.jpg

A staff member will be happy to speak to you. We will determine if you appear eligible and if your case aligns with our services.

Should your case meet our guidelines, then we will schedule an interview with an application specialist.

To ensure our ability to assist you is not delayed, we ask that you bring the documents requested by our staff.

After your interview and upon your application being complete, our office will contact you within 10-days via email with a decision on your application.

Intake Process chart

8. Are there other options for me if a Legal Aid attorney cannot represent me?

Yes. Legal Aid has a Pro Bono Project, where private lawyers in the community volunteer to accept cases within our scope of service. Referrals are made through Legal Aid and applicants must meet the same financial requirements as for Legal Aid’s in-house services.

If you are over-income, you may call the Lawyer Referral Service at 1-800-342-8011 to get referred to an attorney practicing in the area of law you need.

9. Will My Information Remain Confidential?
Yes, all information you give us is confidential and will not be shared without your permission.