Are you a college student looking to help the disadvantaged and to make even a small difference in someone’s life? Do you want to learn more about our legal system? Do you want to be part of the team that delivers quality legal assistance and brings relief and benefits to our community?
Even if law school or becoming a paralegal is not in your plans or your preference, you can still provide valuable assistance to SCBALAS by applying for an internship in any one of the following capacities:
Our office routinely conducts and sponsors legal clinics and presentations to schools and civic organizations. The most important quality we want in our interns is empowering, mobilizing and connecting with PEOPLE. We also are looking for persons with quick and sharp minds, excellent writing skills and who understand and can use social media and other marketing techniques to get our mission out to those persons in the Seminole County community who desperately need our services.
Your tasks include:
- Planning and coordinating existing events and creating new ones
- Writing content for blogs, our website and for print materials regarding our clinics and presentations
- Being social media savvy as we will want you to research trends, top stories and any legal issues reported in the media that potentially affect our clientele. We also want you to assist in creating social media content in this vital area
- Drafting press releases and contacting nationwide media outlets
- Brainstorming with staff on marketing ideas and concepts
Our office could not run efficiently without the assistance of clerks and interns who are responsible for the day-to-day requirements of our office and staff without whom we would not succeed in our mission. As an office intern, you would be responsible for the following:
- Communicating with clients as needed, employees, and other individuals to answer questions, disseminating or explaining information, taking orders and addressing complaints
- Answering telephones, directing calls and taking messages
- Compiling, copying, sorting, scanning and filing records of office activities, business transactions and other activities
- Operating office machines, such as photocopiers and scanners, facsimile machines, voice mail systems and personal computers.
If you have sound organizational skills, are patient and enjoy talking to people and can handle many tasks at once, then your assistance is vitally needed.
As a legal intern, you will provide a valuable service to our staff attorneys. Your duties will include:
- Meeting with and interviewing applicants who are applying for any of our varied legal services
- Gathering information and conducting legal research
- Drafting briefs, motions, petitions, contracts and other legal documents
- Preparing and assisting in discovery matters and communication with clients
- Assisting our staff attorneys for hearings and trials including preparation of exhibits, subpoenas, trial briefs, and any other related tasks
Working with needy families, veterans, low income individuals and seniors will offer you a priceless and eye-opening perspective on how many of our citizens struggle, often unnecessarily, and how SCBALAS can help.
Email your resume to Assistantcoordinator@scbalas.com to give back to your community while learning valuable skills.
Seminole County Bar Association Legal Aid Society is an equal opportunity provider and employer.